Friday, June 26, 2009

SRB's Big Idea, and Upcoming Reviews

Sarah Rees Brennan, author of The Demon's Lexicon, has promised to post a short story for each week her book hits a particular (modest) sales goal. Well, the first week has passed, and she has hit that goal. So, true to her word, she has posted a short story, set in the Demon's Lexicon world, and involving one of the minor characters. If you haven't yet read the novel, do not fear--the story contains no spoilers for the novel, and can be enjoyed completely on its own.

For what it's worth, I liked it. It's about one of the antagonists of her novel, and it shows a little of why he is how he is. While not the most likeable chararacter in TDL (for me at least, though he does have a few good lines and moments), this story made me feel for Gerald. There are some parallels to Harry Potter and Cinderella, and especially to The Sword and the Stone/the tale of Arthur and Merlin. ...Although I am curious about the "American shorts" comment in the first paragraph. It's probably not flattering to those of us in the States.

Also, I do plan on doing more book reviews soon. Several, in fact. Some of them will be from well-known series (I am rereading all 7 of the Harry Potter novels, at the moment, for example), some from stand-alone books. When I review something from a completed series, I will review each book individually, then the series as a whole. So, to let you all know what will be coming, here are the next (SEVERAL) books I will be discussing:

  • Chocolat, by Joanne Harris (literary fiction)
  • STIFF: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach (creative non-fiction)
  • Naked, by David Sedaris (creative non-fiction)
  • The Dark Tower Series (all 7 of them), by Stephen King (fiction, fantasy, western-fantasy)
  • The Harry Potter Series (again, all 7), by J.K. Rowling (fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult)
Also, I am always open to suggestions. If you want something reviewed, let me know. If I don't already have it, I will attempt to acquire it in a timely manner, read it, and share my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment